About Us / Who We Are
Who We Are
The Malaysian Aviation Commission (MAVCOM) was formally established on 1 March 2016 under the Malaysian Aviation Commission Act 2015 as an independent entity to regulate economic and commercial matters related to civil aviation in Malaysia. Our goal is to promote a commercially viable, consumer-oriented and resilient civil aviation industry which supports the nation’s economic growth.
Our functions, as laid out in the Act, include to:
- regulate economic matters relating to the civil aviation industry;
- provide a mechanism for protection of consumers;
- provide a mechanism for dispute resolution between aviation industry players;
- administer and manage air traffic rights; and
- advise the Government, administer and manage routes under public service obligations.
The role of MAVCOM differs from those of the Ministry of Transport (MOT) and the Civil Aviation Authority of Malaysia (CAAM). The MOT is responsible for industry policy-making and government-to-government discussions (including to spearhead bilateral or multilateral negotiations on traffic rights), while the CAAM shall continue to regulate technical and safety matters for Malaysia’s civil aviation industry.